Last updated: 1 August 2018
What information do we collect?
Who do we share your personal information with?
How do we use personal information?
How can you manage the information you have given us?
How do we protect your information?
How to contact us
What do we do?
Weprovide a range of travel-related services, including planning and booking travel. Our services are provided directly and/or through our network of dedicated third-party travel management service providers. Bookings can be made via our online services and through partners' websites. We offer customer support to you through our customer services team to deal with any issues you have with your booking such as complaints, re-locations and travel issues.
Key things you should know about how we use your information:
* We use your information (and the information of those travelling with you) for purpose of completing travel bookings.
* This includes sharing your booking information with our Suppliers or Property Owners in order for them to fulfil your booking.
* We also engage other third-party vendors who provide services or functions on our behalf.
* Where you choose to receive marketing information from Vueling, we may collect your permission for them to send you such information and inform them that you wish to receive it. You will be able to opt-out at any time by contacting Vueling.
* You can contact us about updating or accessing your information through our customer services portal or ourcontact information within the Contact Us section.
* We use information like cookies to to make sure our website functions correctly and to research and measure how our website features, advertisements and offerings are used and interacted with.
* From time to time and usually following an interaction with us, we will ask you for your feedback to ensure we are providing the best service we can.
* The data controller of your personal information isExpedia, Inc., Bellevue, Washington, USA. If you are using our Services outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our central database is operated. Please rest assured that we take appropriate steps to protect your privacy and security.
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, then please contact us via our Customer Services Portal found inthe “Contact Us” section at the bottom of this policy.
What personal information do we collect and why?
The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
* Information that you provide directly to us
We may ask you to provide personal information directly to us. For example, we may ask you to provide your contact details such as full name, street address, telephone number, email address and date of birth, as necessary, in order to:
- enable your travel booking;
- provide the services and information you request such as details about your booking;
- have an emergency contact number for you;
- subscribe you to Vueling's marketing communications; and/or
- submit enquiries to us.
You will also need to provide your billing information (such as credit card number, cardholder name and expiration date) to make a payment.
You may also be required to provide information about any other travellers on your booking, and additional information if you you participate in a review.
If you’re an employee of a corporate account, a vendor or other type of business partner such as a Property Owner, Property Manager, affiliate or travel agent, other information collected can include employer, employee identification number, or other relevant details.
* Special Categories of Personal Information
Certain types of personal information, such as some government-issued identification numbers, religion, health or sexuality, are considered sensitive and require additional protection under applicable laws. We limit the circumstances under which we may collect sensitive personal information; examples of this information include the following:
- Health-related information may be needed to provide appropriate travel accommodation and accessibility or facility requirements.
- Government-issued identification numbers like passport or driver’s license number may be required for flights, vehicle rental or other travel reservation.
- Other information that you can specify at your option and which may imply or suggest information like religion, health or other information, such as dietary needs.
* Information Voluntarily Provided About Your Travel Companion(s)
When you make a reservation for someone else through our Online Services, we will request personal information and travel preferences about that individual. You should obtain the consent of any other individual(s) prior to providing us with their personal information and travel preferences. Your travel companion's information will only be available to view and amend through your account. Should your travel companion want to amend or delete their information themselves they can contact us directly at the information in the “Contact Us” section at the bottom of this policy.
* Information that we collect automatically
When you visit us on our Online Services, we may collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area, this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type (such as Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer), your Internet Service Provider (ISP), your operating system and carrier. For website users, details of any referring website or exit pages as well as broad geographic location (e.g., country or city-level location) and also collected.
We may also collect other technical information such as how your device has interacted with our Online Services, including the pages accessed and links clicked, i.e., trips viewed and the time and date of these.
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Online Services, where they come from, and what content on our Online Services is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our Online Services for our visitors, for example, to customize your user experience, tailor your searches and show you advertisements that may be of interest. We also use this automatic information to prevent and detect fraud.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further under the heading “Cookies and similar tracking technology.”
* Information that we obtain from third party sources
Periodically, we lawfully obtain personal information about you from affiliated entities, business partners and other independent third-party sources and add it to our account information. Examples of information we may receive include: updated contact information like email and purchase history.
* Information we collect when you communicate with us via the following methods
Who do we share your personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
* Third party services providers who provide data processing services to us (for example, to support the delivery of; provide functionality on; or help to enhance the security of our Online Services), or who otherwise process personal information for purposes such as credit card processing, business analytics, customer service, distribution of review programs and fraud prevention. Where third-party service providers have access to data they will only collect information as needed to perform their functions. They are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose;
* Business partners such as Vueling, with whom we may jointly offer products or services, or whose products or services may be offered on our Online Services. You can tell when a third-party business partner is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will appear, either alone or with ours. If you choose to access these optional services, we will on occasions share information about you, including your personal information, with those partners;
* Any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third partywhere we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
* When we believe it is appropriate to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of our company or this website, our customers, or others; and in connection with our Terms of Service and other agreements;
* Any other person with your consentto the disclosure.
On occasion, we share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of visitors our website receives or the most popular hotels and vacation destinations. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services we hope will be of interest to our users.
How do we use your information?
Our legal bases for processing personal information (EEA visitors only)
We will normally collect personal information from you only (i) where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, (ii) where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights, or (iii) where we have your consent to do so. In some cases, we will have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you such as where it is necessary to use your transaction history to complete our financial and tax obligations under the law.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
If we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests (or those of any third party), this interest will normally be to operate our platform and communicate with you as necessary to provide our services to you, for security verification purposes when you contact us and for our legitimate commercial interest, for instance, when responding to your queries, improving our platform, undertaking marketing, or for the purposes of detecting or preventing illegal activities. We may have other legitimate interests and if appropriate we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
How do we determine what our Legitimate Business Interests are?
We carry out an assessment to ensure that:
* Our interest in the use of your data is legitimate (i.e., we have a clear business need); and
* The business need, on balance, does not override your privacy rights.
When determining this, we assess the potential impact a specific use of the data may have on you as a customer and weigh this against our own business needs to ensure that we get the balance right. We also apply a series of security measures tominimiseany potential risks.
In accordance with the legal grounds above, we use the information we collect to:
* fulfil the transactions that you make, such as booking a hotel;
* provide you with travel confirmations and important travel updates for your upcoming trip (via email or SMS);
* verify your identity for fraud prevention purposes;
* manage your account, including processing payments;
* communicate with you in general, particularly if there is a change to your booking;
* provide customer services related to your booking or to respond to any inquiry you make;
* measure interest in and improve our products, services, and website functionality;
* notify you about reviews. You may receive these by email, post or via advertisements on third-party sites, including through social media;
* otherwise customize your experience with this website or App;
* obtain information from you, including through feedback you give or surveys you complete;
* carry out statistical analysis about the use of our website and Apps and the services we offer to improve each aspect of what we do;
* protect our rights as a company including our intellectual property for example;
* resolve disputes, collect fees, or troubleshoot problems;
* prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
* as otherwise described to you at the point of collection.
How do we protect your personal information?
We want you to feel confident about using our Services to make travel arrangements, and we are committed to protecting the information we collect. While no provider can guarantee absolute security, we have implemented appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. For example, we use encryption when transmitting your sensitive personal information between your system and ours, and we employ firewalls and intrusion detection systems to help prevent unauthorised persons from gaining access to your information. In addition, only authorised employees are permitted to access personal information, and they may only do so for permitted business functions.
International data transfers
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident and outside of the EEA. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective).
Specifically, the servers of our Online Services are located in the US, and our group companies and third-party service providers operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in any of these countries.
We ensure that any of our third-party service providers to whom a data transfer is made has appropriate safeguards in place to protect your personal information. The adequacy mechanism may be based on (i) adequate country status, i.e., based in a country that the European Commission has deemed "adequate" since its data protection standards are similar to the European Union; (ii) Standard Contractual Clauses; or (iii) EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield.
We retain the personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise the data or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
We will anonymise or aggregate your data if we intend to use it for analytical purposes or trend analysis over longer periods.
Your information rights
You can access or update your contact information in the Account section of our Online Services. You can de-activate your account at any time either by contacting us through the customer services portalor at the email address listed below. After you de-activate an account, you will not be able to sign in or access any of your personal information. However, you can open a new account at any time. If you wish to delete your data, please contact us through the customer services portal link or at the email address listed below.
If you wish to contact us in relation to any personal information that is not displayed in your account, you can contact us by emailing us at the email address listed below.
Your data protection rights (EEA residents)
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area, you have the following data protection rights:
* If you request accessto your personal data we will confirm whether we hold your information and provide you with a copy, explaining how we process it and why, how long we store it for and your rights associated with it.
* If you request deletionof your personal information, we will erase it. Please do note that we will need to retain any information that we require to fulfil our legal obligations or to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim.
* Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consentat any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
* You have the right to complain to a data protection authorityabout our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. Contact details for data protection authorities in the European Economic Area, Switzerland and certain non-European countries (including the US and Canada) are available here).
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Display of Tailored Advertising
Data collected by this website to serve you with relevant advertising. We are committed to providing you with relevant content and information. To do this, we may, through cookies and other technologies, collect information about your travel-related searches, such as whether you are looking for flights or hotels. We use this information, together with other information we have collected about you, to serve you with more relevant ads on our website, across the internet, and on other devices that you may use. So, for example, if you search for a property in London on this site, you may see an ad for a London travel package on this site or on another website you visit.
Please note that we do not combine the information we collect about your travel-related searches on this website with personal information (such as email address) to serve you with ads across other websites. We also do not share your personal information with third parties so they can serve you with advertisements. You can choose not to receive tailored online advertising on other websites, based on your travel-related searches on this website and learn more about opting out of having your information used for tailored advertising purposes by accessing one of the following resources:
Note that if you choose not to receive tailored ads, you will still see online advertisements, but they will be more general and less relevant to you.
Data collected by business partners and ad networks to serve you with relevant advertising. The advertisements you see on this website are served by us or by our service providers. But we also allow third parties to collect information about your online activities through cookies and other technologies. These third parties include (1) business partners, who collect information when you view or interact with one of their advertisements on our sites; and (2) advertising networks, which collect information about your interests when you view or interact with one of the advertisements they place on many different websites on the Internet. The information gathered by these third parties is used to make predictions about your characteristics, interests or preferences and to display advertisements on our sites and across the Internet tailored to your apparent interests. We do not permit these third parties to collect personal information about you (such as email address) on our site, nor do we share with them any personal information about you.
Data collected by companies that operate cookie-based exchanges to serve you with relevant advertising. Like other companies operating online, we participate in cookie-based exchanges where anonymous information is collected about your browsing behaviour through cookies and other technologies and segmented into different topics of interest (such as travel). These topics of interest are then shared with third parties, including advertisers and ad networks, so they can tailor advertisements to your apparent interests. We do not share personal information (such as your email address) with these companies and we do not permit these companies to collect any such information about you on our site. Please click here to learn more about cookie-based exchanges, including how to access information about the topics of interest associated with cookies on your computer and how to decline participation in these programs.
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms. Some web browsers may transmit "do-not-track" signals to websites with which the browser communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. Participants in the leading Internet standards-setting organization that is addressing this issue are in the process of determining what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals. We currently do not take action in response to these signals. If and when a final standard is established and accepted, we will reassess how to respond to these signals.
Changes to This Policy and How to Contact Us
How to contact us
* If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us via the Privacy Section on our customer services portal here, or alternativelyby email Support-EN-UK-Vuelingholidays@poweredbygps.com or call +44 203 936 2121 or +34 931 224 400 for our customer services team.
* The Data Controller of your personal information is Expedia, Inc., Bellevue, Washington, USA.
* Our EU representative is: WWTE Travel Ltd, Ireland and you can contact them via the Customer Services Portal here or by the email address above marked for the attention of “Privacy Team: WWTE”.